Monday, October 1, 2007

hemingway


"Hills Like White Elephants" is an amazing story, almost pure dialogue. It is an impressive and subtle account of the conflict between 'the American' and a 'girl', a couple waiting for a train in Spain. The conflict is the inevitable abortion the girl will have, and the subltlely lays in the disguised way the resolution is conceived in terms of narrative:

"Doesn't it mean anything to you? We could get along".
"Of course it does. But I don't want anybody but you. I don't want any one else. And I know it's perfectly simple".
"Yes, you know it's perfectly simple".
"It's all right for you to say that, but I do know it".
"Would you do something for me now?".
"I'd do anything for you".
"Would you please please please please please please please stop talking?".

No comments: